Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sonia's Birth


I never thought I could love anyone,
More than I love G.
But number 1 came along,
And I was enamoured, completely.
So when I was pregnant with you my dear,
I worry about not loving you enough.
Now everything screams really clear,
To decide who I love best - it's really tough!

It's a wonderful, fantastic feeling to know just how much love I actually possess after I became a mother. Now, as I embark on my journey as a mother of 2- that feeling awes me and scares me at the same time.

My contractions started at twenty minutes intervals at 630pm on the 28th of February. I did not think anything of them at first as I had been having false contractions for at least 3 weeks before that day. By 11pm they started coming in at 10-minute intervals which had me asking G to call for the OB in the event that I could possibly be in labour. True enough, my OB Dr Paul Tseng asked that we get to the hospital immediately.

We reached TMC at 12 midnight sharp and I was still able to joke around with G that we might be having a leap year baby. TMC was giving away gifts for the first 3 leaplings and we arrived just as the first leapling was delivered (by my OB nonetheless!). G jibed me by saying that he should have made me do some jumping jacks if he had known we were having our baby on the 29th of February. We could have made it for the cash incentive! =)

I was checked and told that I was already 3 to 4cm dilated- hence, labour had indeed started. However as we still had some time, the doctor said that we could rest in our room instead while waiting for the active labour phase. By 4am, the contractions started getting intense at 5 minute intervals- I had to time my breathing with G's snores (he was fast asleep). I was not aware that active labour had started and did not alert the nurses. When one came to check on me she immediately told G that I had to be in the labour ward as the baby was coming. I was at 6cm dilation by then. The nurse then told me that if I were to have an epidural, it better be administered at that moment otherwise it might be too late to do so. I thought hard about it- I could tolerate the contractions but the fear of ripping my arse made me request for the epidural.
Once the epidural was administered, my contractions slowed down. We were told that if they hadn't, Sonia would have been the 3rd leap year baby to be born that day.

Dr Tseng decided then to burst my waterbag as there was no longer a point to keep it intact (contractions are better managed with an intact waterbag). The epidural was wonderful (my first experience with it during Sarah's birth was traumatic) and I could relax all the way till the nurse told me I was fully dilated. Sonia was born after only 3 or so pushes (at 10am) and Dr Tseng did a fantastic job ensuring that I did not tear too badly. I only required 2 stitches thereafter and could walk and sit around without feeling any pain in my bottom (very, very different story with Sarah's birth).

The afterpains were killer pains though. I need to put this down to remind myself what I'ld be getting into should I ever get pregnant again. Note to self: VERY, VERY PAINFUL- WORSE THAN LABOUR PAINS.

I do not think I'ld want another child any time soon. Two is perfect for now.=)

No comments: